Thursday, January 1, 2015

Philosophy and Chocolates


What an extraordinary year this is going to be – I can feel it in my bones, all the way to my savory palate – full of taste memories of chocolate.

Nibbling on bits of chocolate, I’m surfing the web looking for interesting news of the day.  I find an article on BBC titled, “The secret to a happy life – courtesy of Tolstoy,” which lists fundamental philosophies to reap the most out of life.  http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-30536963

                                                                 “Keep an open mind
                                                                    Practise empathy
                                                                    Make a difference
                                                                    Master the art of simple living
                                                                    Beware your contradictions
                                                                    Become a craftsman
                                                                    Expand your social circle”

In reading the first paragraph of the article, I realize that I’ve never read “War and Peace” in its entirety, and I commence to find excerpts of the book written by Leo Tolstoy.  As I read chapter 1, I become immersed in the political discussion between Anna Pavlovna and Prince Vasili Kuragin.  With each scenario of politics, I taste a piece of chocolate –
A ganache of dark chocolate from Belgium, rich dark bittersweet chocolate from Sochi (Russian Olympian host), real chocolate truffles from France (Cémoi chocolatier / utilizing cocoa from Ecuador), and my “standby” Lindt/Lindor chocolate truffles.

My taste buds are exploding!  The New Year has started with a bang of chocolates – how exuberating!  At the moment, I’m content in my home town of St. Petersburg (lovingly known as St. Pete to natives) – although tomorrow my adventurous spirit may lead me elsewhere.  Often, I get the urge to travel and explore the world; only a lack of money keeps me from doing so.  But, today I am satisfied – reading and enjoying my chocolates.

Happy New Year (2015) and Bon Appétit au Chocolat!