Thursday, January 1, 2015

Philosophy and Chocolates


What an extraordinary year this is going to be – I can feel it in my bones, all the way to my savory palate full of taste memories of chocolate.

Nibbling on bits of chocolate, I’m surfing the web looking for interesting news of the day.  I find an article on BBC titled, “The secret to a happy life – courtesy of Tolstoy,” which lists fundamental philosophies to reap the most out of life.  http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-30536963

                                                                 “Keep an open mind
                                                                    Practise empathy
                                                                    Make a difference
                                                                    Master the art of simple living
                                                                    Beware your contradictions
                                                                    Become a craftsman
                                                                    Expand your social circle”

In reading the first paragraph of the article, I realize that I’ve never read “War and Peace” in its entirety, and I commence to find excerpts of the book written by Leo Tolstoy.  As I read chapter 1, I become immersed in the political discussion between Anna Pavlovna and Prince Vasili Kuragin.  With each scenario of politics, I taste a piece of chocolate –
A ganache of dark chocolate from Belgium, rich dark bittersweet chocolate from Sochi (Russian Olympian host), real chocolate truffles from France (Cémoi chocolatier / utilizing cocoa from Ecuador), and my “standby” Lindt/Lindor chocolate truffles.

My taste buds are exploding!  The New Year has started with a bang of chocolates – how exuberating!  At the moment, I’m content in my home town of St. Petersburg (lovingly known as St. Pete to natives) – although tomorrow my adventurous spirit may lead me elsewhere.  Often, I get the urge to travel and explore the world; only a lack of money keeps me from doing so.  But, today I am satisfied – reading and enjoying my chocolates.

Happy New Year (2015) and Bon Appétit au Chocolat!